La Maison aux Roses, Clair de Lune
Henri Le Sidaner (1862 - 1939)
Oil on canvas, signed. Painted Versailles, 1930.
Canvas size: 24 x 20in / 61 x 51cm
Frame size: 31 x 27in / 79 x 69cm
This painting depicts a small building on the grounds of the Trianon, a pair of Baroque and Neoclassical châteaus within Versailles. Louis XV commissioned the building for his mistress Madame de Pompadour as a part of her estate to add to her menagerie. The building first functioned as a dairy but was later repurposed. Then, in 1983, the first floor was removed, restoring it to its 18th century appearance.
Le Sidaner is known to have walked the paths of the Trianon almost daily with his children as they recited their lessons. In the time between the two world wars, he became intimately familiar with not only the palatial grounds and architecture but the sculpture and stonework that adorned Versailles.
Versailles is a continual subject of the painter, who made 12 canvases of the property, one of which, executed around 1917, is now housed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. A quintessentially French provincial symbol of countryside beauty, the house of roses has an undeniable staying power.
Nouveau Drouot Paris, 25 June 1987, lot 81
Drouot Montagne Paris, 24 November 1988, lot 52
Yann Farinaux-Le Sidaner, Le Sidaner, L’Oeuvre peint et gravé, Milan, 1989, p. 254, no. 691, illustrated
Strasbourg, Galerie Aktuaryus, H. Martin – H. Le Sidaner, 1930, no. 23